Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Thursday
Grand Opening winding down

Strength-Week 1
Deadlift or Clean
5 x 65%
5 x 75%
5 x 85%*
*max reps

Metcon
400m run
15 HSPU

Testimony by one of your fellow members......

As most of you know, I have been training with Scott for a year and a half now! He is an amazing coach and wants nothing more than for all of us to succeed, safely!

Remember when you first started, Scotts words were gold! You listened to what he had to say, you followed every instruction to a T and when he stopped you in a movement to correct your form, you did not hesitate to listen!
Now that we’ve been doing it a while our “listening ears” are not so good anymore and do you find yourself being a bit prideful thinking to yourself “I got this” and while he’s offering instruction, you tune out?

Well, I’m here to tell you, STOP IT! No matter how long you’ve been under Scott’s instruction, never stop listening to him! ESPECIALLY when it comes to form!

Here’s why: Monday I was working out at another box, doing AMRAP of 5 back squats at 75% 1RM (110#) and as many push ups as possible until I could not do anymore. I was into my second set, I finished my last back squat and just as I dipped into the squat and was coming up, I remember thinking to myself oh crap your form is breaking pull yourself back in, then pop! The reason my form broke is I was rushing to get the bar wracked and I leaned way forward breaking neutral (before it was safe) and my lower back / pelvis collapsed!

I went to urgent care Tuesday and found out that I got a lumbar / lower back strain!

What happened is this, my vertebrae “popped”, much like your knuckles do when you crack them! And the surrounding muscles became “abnormally” stretched causing them to go into spasms and causing the pain!

Thank GOODNESS it really isn’t major, though it easily could have been! It’s a tough reminder to slow down and focus on form, focus on a neutral spine vs. getting er done!

I am allowed to workout, just NO outside loads for 2 weeks(body weight ok)! And even today, Wednesday, I had to spend AN HOUR rolling out knots and stretching my WHOLE body due to this injury!

This is why we listen! This is why we do what coach says! This is why we don’t ignore instruction! Because if we don’t we could get really REALLY hurt! I rushed on a WOD I broke form, I corrected it, but not soon enough and could have gotten super hurt! DON’T do what I did! I got prideful, I rushed and I got hurt!

Take time to keep your form correct! Stretch and roll out often NOT just at the box at home too! And most importantly listen to Scott’s instruction and correction!

Let’s do this right, with NO self induced injuries! We may not always get the fastest time, but form is far more important than pride!
Linnea “Nea”

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home